Security is largely a federally-managed sector via the various security agencies, such as the Nigerian Police, Armed Forces, State Security Service, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps. The recommendation on enablers for private sector participation and priorities for the Vital Registration and Security sector are:
- Establishment of core and support infrastructure to ensure national security;
- Inclusion of security training in curricula for primary and secondary schools;
- Creation of a security training academy;
- A professional and proactive regulatory agency for private security companies;
- Availability of low-interest loan facilities to private security companies;
- CCTV and other surveillance systems installed on all roads and connected to control rooms of security organisations;
- Availability of database and biometrics banks to support forensic laboratories.