The National Integrated Infrastructure Master Plan (NIIMP) provides the roadmap for building a world class infrastructure that will guarantee sustainable economic growth and development. It would enable the nation take advantage of the vast opportunities in the domestic and global economies to enhance the nation’s competitiveness and improve the quality of life of the citizenry. It provides an integrated view of infrastructure development in Nigeria, with clear linkages across the key sectors. The NIIMP also identifies and elaborates on enablers for successful implementation.
The objectives of the NIIMP are to:
- adopt a coordinated approach to infrastructure development;
- strengthen the linkages between components in the infrastructure sector and the national economy;
- review, upgrade and harmonise existing sub-sector master plans and strategies in the infrastructure sector, to ensure consistency with national development aspirations;
- prioritise projects and programmes for implementation in the short to medium term;
- promote private sector participation in infrastructure development;
- strengthen the policy, legal and institutional frameworks for effective infrastructure development; and
- enhance the performance and efficiency of the economy.
The NIIMP was developed through an elaborate and inclusive process including the work of 11 Technical Working Groups (TWGs) and Business Support Group (BSG), which provided private sector perspective and expectations. In addition, the views of international development partners were equally harvested. The outcome of this process was validated at national and sub-national levels.